Saturday, February 11, 2012

Meatloaf - Low Carb Cooking

Don't worry, I  am not going to change this into a cooking blog!!  It just seems that way.  I have weighed in and I have some good news to share.  I have that post done, I just need to finish the video that goes with it.  I will post it tomorrow.  I know, a real cliffhanger--ooohhh did he finally break through the plateau?  Is the four week drought of good news finally over??

Anyways, I was commenting back and forth with some friends in the UK and they are not very familiar with the old American standby-meatloaf.  I am certainly not a nutritionist, but I think meatloaf is probably a diet friendly food.  Let me know your thoughts.  And ladies that have more experience in the kitchen, be kind and take it easy on me!!!  So I thought since I was cooking it anyways, I might as well film it because I enjoy that too.  So Tim and Nikki and anyone else outside of the States that might be missing out on the simple joys of meatloaf, this one's for you...

10 comments:

  1. I enjoy meatloaf every now and then. As long as you use lean meat and keep portion sizes reasonable, it can be a good meal. I'm not much of a beef eater, never have been, so I like to make it with 93% lean ground turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting that, Paul I actually know exactly what meatloaf is now. Unfortunately I don't eat red meat. Don't think Quorn mince would work as well - do you guys have Quorn in the US?

    Maybe I should cook a typical UK meal? Though, I don't eat much meat so make an alternative usually.

    I guess if you use skim milk and lean meat and don't have a massive portion and serve with boiled or roasted veggies then it shouldn't be too bad for you. Looks like yours served about 8?

    Do you know what is really nice? That you cooked for you wife. Wish my bf would cook more for me. Never had mushroom gravy before, I've had onion gravy but mushroom looks yum. Also, kudos on draining the fat, good calorie save there and on using not fat in the tin, lots of people think you need to use fat on things when you don't.

    Looking forward to your weigh in post. Hope you've broken your plateau.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quorn? Sorry, but I have never heard of it. What is it??

      I actually enjoy cooking. Many guys like to BBQ on the grill, but don't want to cook in the kitchen. I don't get it.

      Delete
  3. I use whole oats as my binder in meatloaf rather than bread or cracker crumbs. Adds a good carb rather than the ones we are trying to avoid. Can't wait for the weight report. Don't keep us guessing too long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. I will try it in my next loaf.

      Delete
  4. I love a good meatloaf... with mashed potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loath meatloaf. :) I don't know, but I've always just hated it, it seems to grow in my mouth :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Maren, I wish I was more picky. Unfortunately, all foods and I are close friends ;) That is my whole problem LOL!!

      Delete