Wednesday, December 7, 2011

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

     Well it's that time of year.  The Christmas season is in full swing in our house.  Favorite Christmas tunes are loaded in the stereo.  Candles are filling the house with scents of the holiday.  We have decorated the tree (tiny as it is) and are starting to wrap gifts.  There are more days with snow on the ground than not.  I have even enjoyed a little eggnog.  These things are the same as in years past, however, there are some changes recently.  As the holiday baking bug has hit me, I have made an apple pie and several pumpkin pies.  What a difference, though, from last year.  In times past one of my pies would have been consumed before the day was over.  Now with everyone in the house trying (to various degrees) to lose weight, every pie has had pieces left over until tossed.  It is amazing how far a pie can go when just diet friendly (meaning real small) pieces are taken.  I have to say I am pretty proud of my self restraint because pumpkin pie is definitely a temptation for me!
     The wife and I just treated ourselves to an early Christmas present of a juicer machine.  In addition, we have also ordered a weight bench and weights.  As this year slowly comes to a close, I have high hopes for the new  year.  I think we have started to build some momentum on this weight loss journey.  Although we are often warned to never say never, I don't see myself wanting to go back to my old ways of eating. I really feel quite content eating more sensibly.  Everything I eat now is viewed in terms of whether it is good or bad for my weight loss journey.  In times past when I overate, I did so with a cocky attitude of indifference.  I just didn't care-isn't that sad??  I really made a mess of "me".  Now I am paying the price for those careless decisions.  Anyways, I think next year may be my year!   I want to get to my goal of being at least not so fat!!  Do you have any tips for some cool gifts this year?


6 comments:

  1. Next year will absolutely be your year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got an email from a friend who suggested ways to support local people and give a gift that will be used. A couple of the suggestions were to find out who that person's barber of hairstylist is and pay for his/her next visit. Go to place that does car detailing and pay to have the person's car washed/waxed/detailed. A certificate for a massage would be welcomed by many or a pedicure/manicure. Next year WILL be your year. I will make it my year as well. It's all up to us, within our reach, and totally doable if we decide to take care of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Maren Thank you, Maren. I feel next year will be good for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @downsizers Great ideas that I may use for the wife. You are right eating and weight loss are two things we can absolutely control in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Paul, glad everything is going good for you!
    We have been reinventing food at my house and we make a killer mac and cheese with butternut squash puree and sharp cheddar and a great meatloaf with half the meat and the rest ground veggies, you wouldnt even no there was veggies in it. Wonderful way to enjoy comfort foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Debbie Wow thanks so much for sharing. I will use the meatloaf idea...and I love sharp cheddar mac...OK, now I'm getting hungry LOL!!

    ReplyDelete