Thursday, December 8, 2011

Juicing For Weight Loss

For an early Christmas present for ourselves, the wife and I bought a Hamilton Beach Big Mouth Pro juice extractor.  I ordered it online from Walmart for $50 which was $10 off the regular price.  For those that may not be familiar with them, it removes the pulp from the juice as opposed to a blender that leaves the pulp in the juice.   Well I have been using my juicer for about a week now and I thought I would share a few thoughts about it.  First, I can say that for $50, the machine can make a great tasting glass of juice.  We started things off by simply juicing some apples and oranges. Wow, it's hard to convey just how good the "home-made" flavor was.  However, we knew we could buy orange/apple juice in the store, so it was time to get serious.  I started adding celery and cucumber along with some carrots into the mix and-----I liked it---a lot.  I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.  I have even went as far as adding such healthy greens like kale, spinach, and broccoli into the mix along with fruits like grapefruit and mangoes.  To me the fun part is experimenting with different ingredients to see how each one can change the overall taste of the final product.

I have used the juice in two ways so far.  First, sometimes just as a drink that tastes good with or without a meal.  I figure at least I am getting a lot of nutrients that I would not have gotten before.  Here I must repeat because I am often asked this...yes the juice tastes good.  Many people (myself at first) cannot believe that fruit and vegetable juice mixed together tastes good.  It honestly does taste good.  Second, I use the juice as a replacement for a meal every so often.  A tall glass or two can easily take the place of a meal and not leave me feeling hungry, but rather feeling proud that I am doing something easy and enjoyable that is helping me lose weight.

Check out my videos and let me know what you think.  Is juicing for you?  Is it something you are thinking about trying?  I love your comments...







5 comments:

  1. I'm definitely considering getting one, I might add it to my Christmas list to Father Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tim I have surprised myself really--I like it!! I am using it to replace a night meal before bed and I am turning that into a healthier habit. Do you have Walmarts there or can you buy things like from Walmart online? I only paid $50.00 US. I don't know what that equals there. I think the pound is about 1.6 times so it would be about 31 pounds? Is that how you say it? It was less than a tank of gas here lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since learning from a Yahoo article about how processed OJ is at the grocery store, I've been thinking about this as a gift to myself, too. You know exactly what's going in it and can feel good about having complete control over what's going into your body. I'm so glad to hear that you like it, Paul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are also investing in a juicer. Love veggies and would love to try them Juiced up! Hope your holidays are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you are right "Juicing is not a new concept." but now people focus more on juices because they want Juicing For Weight Loss without being weak.

    ReplyDelete